Monday, November 16, 2015

Work til the very last minute

Nov 16 2015 
First Zone Conference Nov 11, 2015
So before I go into my testimony I want to share a little experience with all of you. This past saturday was a really cold and really rainy day. So much so that it seemed like england had evacuated the country. There was no one on the streets, and people were barely answering the doors, and there was zero chinese people to be found. (something to know about chinese people, THEY HATE THE RAIN.) Everytime it starts to rain, my companion elder Chen prays that the rain will stop and he is cold all the time, he doesnt go anywhere without a coat on and then there is me who is walking around in a t-shirt and shorts, thinking this is Utah fall weather, and its awesome. But somedays it really does get pretty cold, but off subject. So on saturday we had very little success, so much so that I began to be angry with myself that we had not found anyone to teach. And that today felt like a complete waste of time.



 Well we got back to our flat for tea (dinner) and I was just done. I had had it with the weather, the people, and I was just done. I had been called some names by English people for the first time, some I didn't know what they were saying, but still I could tell the meaning behind them. It was definitely not what you get in Utah when you see the Elders. No honking the horns or waves, just weird looks, and stares. So I laid down on our floor and just sat there trying to compose myself when the next thing I know elder chen is on the phone with someone, I figured it was with the other missionaries asking them about how their day was going. But no, I realized that he was speaking chinese and he was asking a lot of questions, some I could understand others I could not. It was some random lady named R........ She is a 50 year old chinese lady who lives here in York, and then the next thing I know,  we would go and  see her that night! It was a miracle we actually had something to do. So me and elder chen quickly ate, and put on our wet coats and headed out the door. Well we got to her house and at first I was a little bit skeptical about what was going to happen. But as we sat there and testified about the blessings of Eternal Families and the gospel, the Spirit filled the room and me and Elder chen's eyes were watering and so was her's-  I think. I couldn't tell if it was just my eyes or hers as well. but that didn't matter because the Spirit was there. She accepted a Book of Mormon and told us she would read it and then we taught her how to pray, and then she said the prayer with us. And we was really excited to read and the fact that she could talk with God like that. She invited us back and I cannot wait to see what happens with her
it was such an amazing experience. 

I testify to all of you, that when we diligently seek to do the will of God he will bless us. That is something that I needed to learn from my companion. Always strive to be serving others to the very last minute possible. I thought that the day was over, and yet God had something else for us to do. Heavenly Father knows us personally, I know that know more than ever, he knows your struggles your fears, your pains, your wishes, he knows our weaknesses and our strengths. He knows exactly what we need at that specific time. He gives us what we need and just a little more to teach us what it is we need to change. He allows us to feel down, so when those times of happiness come we can truly know how much our father in heaven has blessed us with. 

I know for a surety that this is God's true Church. I know that Jesus Christ himself came down to earth and established his church on the earth. I know that he did perform all those amazing miracles and taught the people how to be truly happy in life. I know, and testify that Jesus is the Christ, our Savior and Redeemer, who died on the cross for each and every single one of us. And that single act, gives us more blessings than this world possibly has to offer. That Atonement allows us to receive strength in times of struggles and despair. It allows us to overcome all of our sins. He grace is what allows us to become perfect, and to return to live in the presence of him, and our Heavenly Father again. I testify to you that through the Prophet Joseph Smith, God and Jesus Christ restored the true church to the earth today. That Joseph Smith did see God the Father and his son Jesus Christ in the sacred grove, and that They called him to be a Prophet of God. I know and testify that Joseph Smith thru the power of God translated the Book of Mormon, and that that book is the truest book on earth. I promise each of you if you will read from its pages every single day, you will come to know the Savior in a more personal way than you ever have before. I love the Book of Mormon, and I know that reading it will bring us closer to Christ. I know that God gives us commandments out of love. That they are there to protect us, and gives us our agency, not to restrict and control us. I know that when we follow the commandments Heavenly Father is EAGER to bless us. He wants us to be happy in life, he knows what it is to make us happy. One of the greatest blessings we can have on earth and in the life to come is knowing that we have families forever. That right there alone is enough to make me want to follow the commandments of God. The hope that the Plan of Salvation gives me is more than i can possibly describe. I know that our current Prophet Thomas S. Monson is in fact the Prophet today, he and his apostles gives us the counsel that we need to hear. They receive revelation on our behalf. I hope we can all take the opportunity it is to reread their talks from this last conference and come to know what it is our Father in Heaven needs us to do.  I testify to you that God the Father and his son Jesus Christ live. I bear you my witness of that. 

In the name of the Jesus Christ Amen.


I love you all and sorry this was so long! Here are some fun pictures for you. 

Love Elder Hanks.
pics. This is the river Ouse that runs thru the middle of the city,




and I thought it was pretty funny that in america we show off motorcycles and mopeds, and in England they show off their old people scooters!!  
(funny Hunter- Looks like a scooter store to me! ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment