Monday, July 4, 2016

The 4th and lots of changes!

elder Poho my Czech friend!
HAPPY JULY 4th everyone hope you all have a wonderful day, I know that I will because I am hosting a bbq for all the missionaries in the zone so that will be fun right?!  Well lets hope I don't burn down the place shall we! But a lot of things have been happening over this past week it has been a really busy week so lets get into it shall we, because we got 4 new investigators which is sooooooooooo AWESOME! 

T.........
The very first door we knocked on Wednesday was quite the experience, it was on the great road of (REMIE)ngton road "coincidence I think not!"Anyways so we knock on this door and T......opens up the door barely wearing any clothes-  just wonderful!  It left a mark on elder Leavitt for sure!  But T...... is a young lad like 25ish and has lots of wonderful ideas! We talked for awhile and then it lead into the fact of who we were and what we were doing so it was really awesome! T........ explained to us his version of god, which is the earth, and the tree roots are the brains of the earth and the water is the body of god!? Then he said that all people who kill any animal or insects should go to prison, but then he went on to say that he thinks we should go back to the time when we hunted for food and all.  it was kind of confusing but he offered to listen to what we have to say and took a book or Mormon, so we will have to see what happens with this guy named T........!

We missionaries are thieves! This past week we have had 2 funny experiences with a certain religion. One who we get called all the time and who thinks they have found the name of God, (cough.... cough.... Jehovah) anyways - so normally we have no luck with people in regards to this religion because people are set on their ways. HOWEVER! Twice in one week it was changed and hopefully stealing an investigator away from them!  First with a man named B.......

B.......... is a 70 yr. old man who wants to follow God before he dies, I know kind of sad, but that's what he told us. Anyways we got in with B.......... and he told us that he used to be part of that particular religion but had a fall out with them and no longer was attending. But he still wanted to follow God, so he asked us how we differ from them and our view on what happens about after we die! So we taught this man about the wonderful Plan of Salvation and what happens and I quote from him, "wow, this makes so much more sense, and way better than what ......... believes in. Where is your church I would like to come!" BOOOOOOYYYAHHHHHHHHH! The Spirit testified and he is loving it! SOOOOOO AWESOME I cant wait to see what happens with Brian! So pray for him please!!

Then for J............! he is also a 70 yr old man who wants to find God before he dies! hahah I don't know why I keep finding these people. So this is very interesting with Jed, because he has been a former investigator and has already been taught by missionaries, but the A.P's said that if we used the area book and went by formers,  our teaching pools would increase and its true! it did! Anyways so J........ is currently being taught by the Jehovah witnesses as well, and he always compares us together and sometimes it gets really annoying. So this past lesson he didn't read his book of Mormon, so what did - we read it with him, and I had no idea what to read, I just opened up mine and said we will read this verse, then this and this  verse and sooo on....... And it turned out Amazing the holy ghost definitely guided us on what to say, and read in that lesson! So at the end of this lesson he told us this, "All I want is to find out the truth and get on with it, and it looks like I am leaning towards Mormons, and you are only kids!" Hahahaha yeah I am just a kid, but we have the truth! AHHHHH it was awesome!

last time as a foursome in our apartment....


Sorry this is going to be a really long email here. But then this week we got to meet our new mission President, President Turvey. He is soo awesome, we all got to meet with him for like 30 seconds alone and the only thing he mentioned was Chinese and how he plans on using it, so looks like I might need to pull out my Chinese books again! But he is awesome we had a great meeting with him, and he has a lot of similar views as president Pilkington and said that he probably wouldn't be changing much in the mission so that was nice to know up front, but I am really excited to see what happens over the next year! And then to add on top of that, our bishop got released as well, and so we got a new bishop too, which was crazy hence lots of changes! But the new bishop is a good guy, it just reminded me a lot when my dad was called to be a bishop and when he told all of us, and then I remember when he was released, all the memories came flooding back! So we got two new people to work with now!

Then this past week we also had transfers and well because I am training not much really happened. I am staying here in Sheffield to finish training elder Leavitt which I am super happy to do, because this kid is awesome I am so blessed to have him as my "son" however the sad news is the two elders in our flat who are Slovak speaking elders, both finish their missions and are going home on Tuesday and there are no more Slovak elders coming in so the house that we now live in is just me and elder Leavitt, so its going to be really quiet the next six weeks. But it has been really sad to see them pack and also really exciting to see them talk about how they are going to see their families, burn their sun-faded suits and they even ended strong with a baptism on Saturday! Endure to the end right! So that will be a big change for us this next few weeks, lots of room for just me and Elder Leavitt! But that's all for me! Happy fourth everyone!
The Elders going home - burning one of their suits...

love you all!

Elder Hanks














































June 27 2016
Alrighty people so not too much happened this past week sadly but I will try and make this exciting for all of you guys to read here. So I guess the first thing is this week we get our new mission president, President Turvey sot hat will be really exciting but I will admit I am going to really miss president Pilkington he has taught me a lot in my life and I will always remember the impact that he had on my life! However I am looking forward to seeing how Pres. Turvey will instruct us and be able to learn more from him.

This week was great. We found 2 new investigators which was sooooo awesome!!!
First was R........,
So R....... is like a 70 yr old man who has always believed that there is a god, but has never known where to go, because too many churches and not enough energy to go around and ask. So right now its a battle between us and the Jehovah Witnesses, and well I am not worried because I have the truth and the holy ghost is on my side, so that is no real concern, but we are excited to see what will happen with him these next few weeks.

"Riskin' " our lives in the "hood" ! 


Second is W...........,
He is a 50 yr old man, who has 2 daughters and he is soo cool. He is a security guard, but like the higher up people, so he tells all the other guys what to do, and trains them and does all the really bit gigs, like concerts and stuff over here, even at 50 yrs old. So we met him knocking he was busy and didn't have much time, so we gave him a book of Mormon he said he would read it, he did, and so did his 15 yr old daughter (sooo Sweet!!!) And then we went back and taught him the restoration outside, on his door, in the rain while he sat there in his doorway, dry as can be. So I wish I could say the spirit was SUPER STRONG, but rather I was just trying to keep my mind in the right place, while teaching in the rain! But hey it was a great lesson and elder Leavitt taught most of it, so that was super good! I was so blessed to get elder Leavitt the lad Is just a boss!!! I love serving with him, I am going to miss working with this Cowboy when the time comes!!

But this is just a funny story and where the title comes into play. We were knocking on some doors and we weren't seeing much success. However we always keep going so we kept knocking and we knocked on this door and this massive guy, like picture a lad who is 6 '7 and like 340lbs. Alright huge guy! I ask him a funny question to simply get him to laugh, he responds with the English classic "not bothered" I then responded with "well that's alright could you at lea............" and then he yelled at the top of his lungs some choice words I simply cannot say, and then the greatest thing happened! He SLAMMED HIS DOOR SOOOOOO HARD!! That no joke it pushed me back and rattled his windows, and his neighbours windows and everyone came out to see what happened! It was awesome! hahaha elder Leavitt was laughing so hard at it, which I think was great to see him enjoying the rejection of the British!!

The park we walk through every day ! 
But I had a very interesting thought this past week that I thought might be worth sharing.
We have been working on teaching lesson 2 this week with elder Leavitt, and I was sitting there listening to him speak about the plan, and I thought of something. The plan is designed to allow us to become more like our father in heaven, and to live with him again. And I started to think about all the reasons why we were not like him now, and all these excuses came into my head, and then came the thought, "what would happen if our Father in Heaven used the same excuses we did?" Now imagine that!

"ooh sorry I couldn't help you today I was too tired!"
"That wasn't my job to do, it was Joseph's!"
"Sorry I couldn't spare your life, I fell asleep."
"Sorry I just have too much on my plate right now!" etc............
possibilities are endless with excuses

What would happen to us he if did that! Our lives would be messes, we would have nothing, or no one to rely on! That's it! If we truly want to become like him, we will get rid of our excuses and do something for someone else! Ask your father in heaven in your next prayer, "What can I do for you today!?" and see how he plans to work through you to bless the lives of others!

Stop the excuses and help out someone!

l love you all! hope you all have a wonderful week!

love
Elder hanks






Our lives on a daily basis... outside and inside homes...

No comments:

Post a Comment