Friday, August 26, 2016

Am I back in training?!

Aug 22 2016

Dajia Hao! Haha well people it's another week gone for us here. And let me just tell you how weird it has been to be back in Chinese work. I have never heard so much Chinese in my life and understood so little
of it. It's been a crazy week for us and I wish I had a lot to tell but unfortunately I don't. But I will try my best anyways!

So first thing - My companion is Elder Zheng and he is from Taiwan. He is sooooo awesome! Oh man I have just been so blessed to have amazing companions! He is so funny and we already have had some good laughs together. He helps me out so much with Chinese and with everything really, I feel like I am back in training hence the title, because I have no idea what to do, or what to say haha I feel like a brand new missionary, and It's been a stressful week, to say the least but nevertheless I am so happy to be here and to be using my Chinese again.



So on Tuesday I was traveling all day to get to Newcastle. And on the train ride there, I was all by myself! What ?! I know - first time ever, it felt so weird but it actually was really cool because I was able to sit next to a guy named Chris. He is so awesome. He started to talk to me and ask me all sorts of questions and we had an awesome like 2 hr chat about all sorts of things. One of the greatest blessings my mission has given me is the ability to have a conversation with complete strangers. It was so great and you know what we never even
got into the gospel all too much, but I know that it was both a blessing to me and to Chris as well.




However here is the down side. This is the time of year that all the Chinese people go back home because they finish school. And so it's been really hard to do the work here. I have never done so much finding in my entire life. We LITERALLY walk around for 6 straight hours trying to find Chinese people! especially when it's raining! Ooh I don't like rain! Ooooooh man and sometimes it can really have a toll on the body sometimes I get home and just collapse because I am so tired, my companion likes to laugh at me because of how tired I am. But two days straight in rained on us and wowza!  it was a cold windy day, but the Lord still blessed us with some success. But it's been really good to be able to meet some of the members here in the branch
and even though I don't understand most of what they say,  it's still been amazing. And not only that but this week we had a baptism in the branch the others elders baptised someone on Thursday, and it was awesome. Because of the whole branch being not very big, a baptism is like a baptism for all of us because we all have some connection with that person, so that is cool that the branch is still growing.

Church was a different experience. They made me and elder Zheng do the sacrament and that was cool! Our sacrament meeting is in the relief society room and so it's really small, but cool thing was just under half of the people there were non-members so SWEEET!!!!!! But then I got up and bore my testimony and introduced myself all in Chinese it was a bit rough but I thought it was okay! Then everything else for the next 2 1/2 hours was Chinese, so I was a bit lost but hey,  still really cool and the branch is sweet!!



I am sorry I feel like this email is just full of not so good things, because most of our members are now going home as well within a couple of weeks and so we are really going to be a small branch. But I am so happy the be here right now, because of the amount of people that are leaving we are working really hard to find new people to teach, which means lots of finding, and so I am praying that all of this hard work pays off. But I can already see an improvement in my Chinese which is really good because I need it a ton. Anyways so not much to report on this week hopefully I will be able to share a little more with you guys next week! Zài jiàn Nîmen!


Elder Hanks 韓長老



I assume this is a soccer stadium...!
 Image result for newcastle soccer stadium





Gray's Monument in Newcastle

THIS COLUMN WAS ERECTED IN 1838
TO COMMEMORATE
THE SERVICES RENDERED TO HIS COUNTRY BY
CHARLES EARL GREY K.G.
WHO, DURING AN ACTIVE POLITICAL CAREER OF
NEARLY HALF A CENTURY
WAS THE CONSTANT ADVOCATE OF PEACE
AND THE FEARLESS AND CONSISTENT CHAMPION OF
CIVIL AND RELIGIOUS LIBERTY.
HE FIRST DIRECTED HIS EFFORTS TO THE AMENDMENT
OF THE REPRESENTATION OF THE PEOPLE IN 1792,
AND WAS THE MINISTER
BY WHOSE ADVICE, AND UNDER WHOSE GUIDANCE,
THE GREAT MEASURE OF PARLIAMENTARY REFORM
WAS AFTER AN ARDUOUS AND PROTRACTED STRUGGLE
SAFELY AND TRIUMPHANTLY ACHIEVED
IN THE YEAR 1832.





No comments:

Post a Comment