Monday, November 28, 2016

Smallest Zone but big changes

Nov 21 2016

 Pano of  beautiful  Huddersfield!


This is how the Baptists advertise.... ! 


Wow what a wonderful week it has been for the Chinese YSA elders. So yeah cool thing found out this week that me and elder Liss are liked assigned to the YSA elders here so that should be super sweet! So let's get you guys acquainted with the area here. So sorry not too exciting of a letter.

L....... So he is our favorite gator who just passed his interview on Saturday and came to church on Sunday and we will be having his baptism. So we are super excited for him he absolutely loves prayer. Every time we ask him to pray he gets mad because he doesn't want to be asked he just wants to do it. So haha love hearing his prayers they are the best, it always reminds me how to properly pray. I'm really excited for L.......

Next up is R.....! So she came to church this Sunday and she really liked it. She is really close to working towards her date of baptism. She is just trying to convince her parents to give her the support behind it, but she is willing even if her parents say they don't support it. So we are excited for her.

This week we had Zone training and they asked me to do a training on boldness, and everyone really liked it. I wanted to make sure that people remembered what I taught so instead of going into too much details, I used an object to enhance my point. *see picture to find object.






So this week we went on exchanges with the other elders, and I went with elder Stumpp. He is from Idaho and is the biggest scouting fanatic I have ever met !  He is a new missionary, been here for like 7 weeks so fresh out of Provo. But we had some fun together, I didn't want to do Chinese work with him so we went knocking and WOW! I have gotten a little bit rusty on knocking, haven't knocked on doors in a couple of months so he kinda helped me out a little.

Our branch- the branch Pres. has been transfigured by accident! 

So this is where the changes part comes into play. So my mission has been quite unique. The beginning of my mission was mostly English work, knocking in doors, teaching members and less actives, all that common good stuff. Then I got switched to Chinese work, the best work. Which consisted mainly of finding and teaching investigators with some members here and there. It was great I loved it!

Now I am in a Chinglish (Chinese + English) area where we have to try and balance both. It has been quite the challenge because the work is so different between the two that, sometimes in an English lesson me and elder Liss will switch into Chinese, or the other way around. We get some confused looks every now and again. It's been awesome!





I don't have too much to write about this week. We did a lot of finding and got some really fun people, we are super excited for L....... this week and we also are looking forward to Zone conference tomorrow which always is an uplifting experience.

Love you all, have a great thanksgiving! Be grateful for what you have! Eat some pie for me!


Love Elder Hanks






Nov 28 2016 

Hey lads and lasses how are all you doing. Gotta apologize last week I dropped the ball, I forgot to mention thanksgiving. So happy late thanksgiving from elder hanks, sorry it's late it's just hard to remember in a country that doesn't celebrate it. But thankfully we had a wonderful family feed us a great thanksgiving meal, with turkey, stuffing, and pie all the good stuff. A little different from home but still good. In the spirit of thanksgiving thank you all so much for the support and love that you have shown me over this past year. You guys are just amazing. Nevertheless the time has passed and Christmas is in the bitter cold air of England, it has been nonstop Christmas music in the flat greatly anticipating the wonderful season of His Birth. I hope you all plan on doing the Christmas initiative. It's such a great idea.




So for this week, it was a pretty busy week for us. So I will get all the highlights. This week we had Zone Conference, and that was just sooo awesome. My favorite part about the whole thing was these things,
"Proper preparation prevents poor performance."
"Each of us is an innkeeper, we choose if their is enough room in our hearts for Christ." 
"You ARE the message, everything about you is the message, before you even speak. So make sure the message is the best it can be." 
It was a really great zone conference and got to see all my mission friends from all over. Saw elder Chen for the last time on the mission. He goes home on the 13th so farewell to my trainer! But it was great!

After this zone conference me and elder Liss were asked to stay behind by president which normally is a very scary thing for any missionary and it was. So us and a whole bunch of sisters, seriously me and Elder Liss were the only elders in the room besides the Assistants. But president talked to us about putting greater focuses on certain people, and those people were YSA. so he called/told us that we are now YSA assigned missionaries. Which we practically already are being Chinese speaking but he relayed to us that their are more things to now do, and some things we don't have to worry about anymore! But I am sooo excited, im a YSA missionary now! 

Morning exercise competition !! 

Then to end this week off, we had a wonderful weekend. On Saturday we had the baptism of L...... and he was just sooo excited. We took a member with us to K......'s house on Friday night, and when we left the member said he had never seen someone so excited for baptism. So L...... was excited we were excited. The baptism went really well. No problems and lots of practicing to assure everything would work out. (Elder Liss practiced baptizing me like 28 times just to be sure!) but it was wonderful the spirit was present and L......... is so excited to be a member!

Oh also I have a new record for speaking in a ward. So in every single area I have served in I have given one talk. Well that has changed already. The 2nd week here in Huddersfield I noticed that the stand was quite empty and as the first speaker ended the conversation, I saw the bishop whispering into his counselors ears trying to figure out what to do. Then to have the second speaker end his talk early. You could see the panic on their faces. So I stared down the first counselor, and finally got his attention. Mouthed to him that if he needed to I would gladly speak. 

Quickly he shot the message into the bishops ear and the bishop perked up a little bit, look to see who I was because they didn't even know who I was yet! Debated for a little bit and then gave me a thumbs up and there I was up on the stand on the second week in Huddersfield. It was great. However only to have the same thing happen once again, that's right people I did it again! Two weeks in a row giving a talk in sacrament! If that is not fulfilling the statement in Preach my gospel of  "asking yourself if you are a blessing or a burden to the Bishop?" 

Me, E. Walter, E. Liss &  E. Ferrell 
                

It was a fun week this week but today's, it's Zone preparation Day so we are going to be playing some games. But this week was awesome! Remember to do your day of service this week on Dec 1st. Can you believe it, its already December!! That's sooo crazy!
Love you all have a Wonderful week, putting up the Christmas tree, turning on the lights, all that good stuff English people don't know how to do. 

Love
Elder Hanks 韓長老

No comments:

Post a Comment